Thursday, July 19, 2007

Heroes...

Heroes....those that stood for a cause that inspired them to charge against all odds for the greater good. Unselfish, selfless, determined and a pillar of hope...

Well, that's the rose-tinted and idealistic version of it, of course. Sadly, there are some in this country who's definition of Heroes are a little monotone. Here's what happened recently in a meeting :

Buyer : I like your animated series...will like to buy it but can you change the title of the show?

Seller : Errr...what do you mean?

Buyer : We are buying the show through a political party. So, I think you should drop 'Wira' from the title.

Seller : What's wrong with the title? It's a show about Heroes of Independence.

Buyer : Yeah, I know... but you got Chinese and Indian personalities in it. So it's not apt.

Seller : Errr...(stunned silence)

In this day and age, callousness like this do exist. Politics and common respect doesn't seem to be good friends. What kind of a message does this Seller wants to perpetuate in this country? For me, it seems like unless you're a Malay, your contribution to this country, big or small, is not appreciated, let alone be recognised. History, it seems, are shaped by a process of elimination. Champion the popular ideal, no matter how skewed and subdue the rest. Suddenly, there's a caste system in place: the desirables vs. the undesirables.

Men and women of all ethnicity populate this wonderous land of ours. They toil and with their own blood, sweat and tears tend to this country. Yet, when it's time to shed a little appreciation for their effort, some party will like to stake the entire claim for it. It's not a matter of how much you've given for this country, it matters more if you belong to the right race.

Wake up people! Who in their right mind still plays the race card in this day and age? For a moment of racial pride, everything we have worked towards in creating harmony and strength by unity seems to be thrown out the window. People with these kind of conversations are but a small minority...but they tend to be the one who has the power to influence the masses with messages that they send.

I am always mindful of the power of communication. I work in the communications line. The material I produce are watched by all age groups and all segment of the population. And I've come across on many occasions, some material that I deem a little derogatory to race, gender and common decency. What kind of message am I perpetuating in participating in something like that? And almost everytime, I am able to change it for the better...almost everytime.

You out there...take a little time today, sit back, and think about what is it that you are perpetuating out there in the world. Are your actions advocating more fear, holding out and intolerance due to the differences in race...or are you in this together with everybody else.

You can make history...and heroes. Let's not have history make you.

2 comments:

Sesat said...

privileges are meant to be given to those who have shown time and time again that they deserve it. It was deserving.... then.

Now they are more like si kudung and the bunga. Cannot appreciate just keeps on asking....

this country is not made of one person, one race, at one time....

give credit where credit is due, not give credit for something yet to be done...

JulesVerne said...

So sad, but that is what is happening in this country today. The 'right' race, is there such a thing? I am half Malay, my dad's a Ceylonese, my mom's grandmother was half-Chinese, my ex was quarter Arab, so that makes my son ... a what?

I took my son to the grocery shop near the house once, and one makcik asked him; "awak anak Melayu ke?" My son said, "I am orang Malaysia".

Wisdom from a nine-year old boy, puts to shame the leaders of our so-called multi-racial country. And goes to prove that if we teach our children right, there is still some hope of salvation for us all...